Sunday, January 02, 2011

Family Treasures

I went home for 6 weeks last year. People, I can't tell you how necessary that was.

Ostensibly, the trip home was so I could attend the Big Kahuna's 80th birthday, but a lovely side effect was that I found my sense of humour.

Thanks to my sister's excellent organisational skills, the family 8mm movie and 35mm slide archives were digitised to mark the occasion. My Dad was a prolific, if not overly skilled, practitioner of the moving image and photographic arts.

I present a snippet for your viewing pleasure.



Happy 2011.

9 comments:

jb said...

Helen? Is that really you...?

Kate said...

Helen, jb sent me to your blog. The blouse and skirt worn in the video by ?? reminded me of my old school uniform. You know jb?

jb said...

Helen, don't you DARE tell Kate the truth about me...

G in Berlin said...

Lovely to see you again- wishing you a wonderful 2011.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Welcome back, Helen. I started blogging in July of this year but I ran into JB early. He's a mess, but I think that I know the truth about JB...

I hope that you can help us keep him under control...

Genie

Virginia said...

Hello Helen! We met when JB was off playing pitiful with his surgery or some such tale. I'm so happy to have your back. LOVED the video. I took one quarter of golf in college and I think you and I had similar swings!
XX
V

Helen said...

@jb - yes, it is really me! I know it is a bit of a shock for me too.

@kate - I do believe it is my mother sporting the outfit (dark skirt and white blouse). She would have been in her early 20s in this footage. The other two women are my aunts. Dad is the tall gangly chap.

@G - thanks. You are kind to say so. Happy New Year to you and your family too.

@Genie - Hi. It looks like I have a few new blogs to check out! I'm afraid to say, there is no keeping jb under control (where is the fun in that?)

@ Virginia - Hello again. I remember our meeting. Glad you enjoyed the movie. I wish my swing were that good...

Rute said...

Love the soundtrack of the movie :) Actually I love this old movies. The colors are just wonderful.

You have a good publicist... (jb)thats how I ended up here.

Helen said...

@Rute - the soundtrack is "Goodbye Sadness" by Astrud Gilberto.