Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Ham-ster

On Christmas Day as we were heading out the door to visit some friends, I noticed that the neightbours had constructed a makeshift enclosure, complete with a little wooden hut - the perfect size for a hamster.

My internal monologue went something like...

"The kids next door must have got a hamster for Christmas, how cute."

Closely followed by...

"It's a bit weird that there is no top on that enclosure - free range hamsters, how cute."

Closely followed by...

"Oh My God, the cats are outside."

Closely followed by...

"We really need to get some of that 'just in case your cats eat the neighbour's kids' Christmas hamster' insurance that everyone in Germany recommends you have."

2 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Happy Holidays!
Well, since we saw a fox in someone's backyard here in Berlin (in broad daylight), I think your cats have deniability, unless cat in the act;).
So, was it a hamster enclosure?

Helen said...

G - plausible deniability - just the thing I was looking for.

The enclosure seems to have disappeared. I'm hoping that the alleged hamster is living it up indoors.